Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2015

content.jpg
Following our work with The Dot, all classes watched the animated version of ISH, also by Peter Reynolds.  It’s the continuation of The Dot.   It takes place a few years after The Dot, and we find the little boy, whose name we find out is Ramon, now has learned to LOVE to draw.  That is until his older brother makes fun of his work and hurts his feelings and makes him sad and mad all at the same time.
We discussed how sometimes we can get so sad that we get mad. A fellow teacher in the room told us that some people call that being " in the purple zone".... sad is blue, and red is mad and put them together you get purple....
But back to the story of Ish the good news is Ramon's sister sees his work differently and  Ramon learns to appreciate his work in a whole new light. I told the students that if I wanted their drawings to look like a photograph I'd give them cameras. We also talked about how all of us are different, have different voices and handwriting, so our art works will all be different. I reminded students of my first studio rule, be safe with our words and actions, " kind words".  Ish is about many things but one is the power of kind words and positive thoughts to ourselves and others.
  • For our mini-lesson I taught kids a new skill, to ‘ air-draw’. Air drawing is a term I came up with years ago, to help kids ' flatten space' and see the lines in an object they are drawing. Artists do this all the time, but I had heard it called " siting the lines", not very fun. Air-drawing is something they can get into. We close one eye, and essentially flatten our depth of field. Kids tried it with one eye and it worked, they realized with two eyes their vision was blurred ( binocular vision).  We discussed why artists need to flatten space. We realized that the world is " 3-D" and paper is flat and thus '2D", and so artists are continually faced with this problem. How do we solve it? We flatten space by tricking our eyes, and ultimately every time we draw we are problem solvers.
  • I recently looked air-drawing up and found there is an iPhone app, that allows you to draw in the air and the marks are recorded on the iPhone. I will need to check that out. .. 
  • But I digress finally back to our lesson, created ishy floral still-lifes, directly in Sharpie, we learned to " oops out'" any supposed mistakes. I helped some kids on this. 
  • The following week we added water color crayons and the results are unique, beautiful, powerful and all different. They truly made me smile. I will be posting a bunch when I get back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment